The Planet Mark
William & SON
William & Son reduces carbon emissions by an impressive 27% in second year of carbon footprint reporting
William & Son, one of the most distinctive luxury goods companies in the UK, has reduced its carbon footprint by 27% compared to the year ending March 2018.
The clothing, jewellery and home goods manufacturer is in its second year of business carbon footprint reporting. It first calculated the carbon footprint of its London store for the year ending March 2018 and set a target to reduce emissions by 5% annually. This year’s footprint includes emissions from purchased electricity, water, travel, paper and waste for its London store.
William & Son’s total carbon footprint in year ending March 2019 was 127.0 tCO2e, a decrease of 27.6% from the year ending 2018. The relative carbon footprint was 3.3 tCO2e per employee, a decrease of 12.3% compared to the year ending 2018. This reduction in emissions has saved the equivalent carbon of powering 30 UK homes for one year.
Travel emissions decreased by 35.1% and electricity emissions decreased by 21.2% year on year.
Founded in 1999 by William Asprey, the Mayfair-based luxury retailer is committed to excellence in its business and has extended this commitment to its approach to sustainability. The company’s unique level of service and commitment to excellence has earned international repute, loyal clientele and a Royal Warrant.
Commitment to The Planet Mark requires continuous improvement in sustainability. William & Son are setting a target of cutting its carbon footprint by 5% for the coming year, a total of 6.3 tCO2e.
Steve Malkin, CEO & Founder of The Planet Mark commented; William & Son’s latest achievement is truly outstanding and demonstrates the reductions that businesses with the right level of commitment, will continue to make year-on-year. William & Son epitomises how organisations can make positive contributions to society and the environment and enjoy the process
Upon achieving re-certification to the programme, William Asprey, Founder & Chairman at William & Son said; I am delighted that we have been able to make such a significant difference to our carbon footprint this year. It shows what can be done when the whole business pulls together and wants to make a difference and I am very proud of what has been achieved. We now need to keep up the good work and continue to find other ways to make further reductions.
The Planet Mark Certificate recognises William & Son’s good practice in sustainability, including:
- Measuring 127 tCO2e from its building, waste, and procurement, the equivalent of 3.3 tCO2e per employee.
- Reducing total carbon footprint by 27.6%, the equivalent of 12.3% per employee.
- Storing 260 tCO2 in one acre of protected rainforest
- Making a commitment to engage employees and suppliers to drive sustainable improvement in the company
- Investing in the Eden Project to support continuing education on climate change
Recommendations William & Son has been advised to implement to continue on their sustainability journey include:
- Regular ‘energy audits’ to identify where most energy is used and potential wastage
- Waste management audit to understand the waste being produced, and its best route
- Sourcing paper from sustainable sources or recycled content
- Organising annual sustainability workshops to raise awareness among staff and stakeholders