The Planet Mark™, the internationally-recognised and trusted sustainability certification programme, has turned three. We’ve published this infographic to show the impact we’ve had so far.
The Planet Mark™ launched in 2013 with a mission to empower organisations and their people to make year-on-year progress in sustainability. The certification is awarded to businesses, properties, new developments and projects that are committed to reducing their carbon emissions.
Here are the highlights:
• Since launching, The Planet Mark™ has certified 102 organisations and measured 134,911 tonnes of CO2 equivalent (tCO2e) across business operations, including energy, waste, water, travel and procurement. The Planet Mark™ has helped its business customers achieve a 14.5% reduction of CO2e per employee over its first three years. On an annual basis this works out at almost double the 2.5% target its customers need to achieve on a year-on-year basis to retain The Planet Mark™
• The Planet Mark™ has measured the carbon footprint of 23 new developments that go beyond compliance. Covering 6,405,168 sq feet in total, these buildings have saved 54,703 tonnes embodied carbon compared to a compliant building of the same type and size
• Working with its iconic partner the Eden Project, The Planet Mark™ has engaged 35 schools and colleges and 5,339 students through workshops and educational programmes
• The Planet Mark™ has helped protect over 2 million trees and save 8,401 acres of endangered rainforest in the Peruvian Amazon in partnership with Cool Earth – locking in 2.18M tCO2e
- The Planet Mark™ has communicated 300 stories to a potential audience of over 10 million and tweeted 10.8k messages that have engaged 1 in 2 people.
“The aim of The Planet Mark™ Certification Programme is to ensure every organisation grows economically by improving its environmental and social performance,” said Steve Malkin, founder of The Planet Mark™. “We do this through our unique three-step programme that helps our customers each year measure their carbon footprint and environmental performance, engage their employees and suppliers to help drive improvements, and communicate their achievements through our toolkits, promotional materials and marketing channels. The results we’ve achieved in the first three years of The Planet Mark™ shows the programme is working and it’s a real testament to the commitment of our Planet Mark-certified businesses that we have come so far.”
If you get Planet Mark-certified today we’ll protect an Acre of Rainforest. Find out more by clicking on the link below.