Winch Design, a London based luxury design studio, has been awarded The Planet Mark certification for its commitment to reducing its carbon emissions by 5% year-on-year.
Presenting their certification at the Winch Design studios in Barnes, Steve Malkin, CEO & Founder of The Planet Mark, commented; “It is with particular joy that we are able to present Winch Design with The Planet Mark certification. Nature is inspiring and informing their design work and sustainability is guiding their business decisions, operations and company culture. The knowledge and enthusiasm of the Winch Design team suggests to me that they are going to make a great contribution to society and to the environment.”
Founded in 1986, Winch Design has established itself as a global leader for luxury design, instantly recognisable, it is the go-to lifestyle brand for individuals of an ultra-high net value. The team, comprising of more than 100 skilled designers and support staff, provide their clients with an exclusive and discreet design service. Uncompromising on excellence, they create entirely bespoke and individually tailored homes on land, in the air and at sea.
Kirsten Hill, Head of Recruitment and Partner at Winch Design, commented; “We’re endlessly inspired by the natural world and understand that in order to preserve its beauty for generations to come, it is our responsibility to act now. We hope that by taking the initiative to reduce our carbon footprint, be it in the studio or how we design and deliver our projects, we aspire to set the standard for the luxury industry as a whole.”
The Planet Mark Certificate recognises Winch Design’s good practice in sustainability, including:
- Measuring 34.6 tCO2e from electricity, natural gas, water and waste sources, the equivalent of 0.4 tCO2e per person
- Storing 260 tCO2 in one acre of protected rainforest
- Making a commitment to engage employees and suppliers to drive sustainable improvement in the company
- Investing in the Eden Project to support continuing education on climate change
Specific measures Winch Design is taking to hit its 2019 targets include:
- Achieving a 5% carbon reduction across the business
- A total carbon reduction of 1.73 tCO2e
- A reduction of carbon emissions per employee of 0.02 tCO2e
Winch Design was founded in 1986 by Andrew and Jane Winch as a specialist Exterior and Interior Yacht Design Company. Over time, the company has added aviation, architecture and interiors teams to its core yacht portfolio and now employs over 100 people, working on a number of international design projects on land, in the air and at sea. Based in an old fire station on the banks of the River Thames, Winch Design celebrated thirty-two years in business last year.
The Planet Mark:
The Planet Mark is an internationally recognised and trusted sustainability certification programme, recognising commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability. It is awarded to businesses, properties, new developments and projects that are committed to reducing their carbon emissions.
The Planet Mark partners with two award-winning charities:
- The Eden Project, a visitor attraction encouraging organisations to learn more about climate change and the importance of biodiversity.
- Cool Earth the award-winning charity that works alongside indigenous villages to halt rainforest destruction. Each holder of the planet mark protects one acre of rainforest in Peru.
Let’s work together to create a better way of living!
We value your feedback, suggestions and collaboration so get in touch Info@planetfirst.co.uk